I love one pan/ pot dishes. Our home is a regular abode for friends and relatives every weekend so these dishes serve as a wonderful way to serve all. We’ve picked up a few recipes from the past years and stuck on to them, one of them being Shepherd’s Pie. Potatoes, minced meat, and veggies are thrown in a good tomato sauce and everyone’s happy. But what really makes us happier is cheese. Therefore, an addition of cheese was necessary.
The cheddar infused into the upper layer of the pie makes for such a cheesy texture and fills the bland potato mix with lots of flavor! Find the recipe below:
Cheddar Shepherd's Pie
For top layer (cheddar mashed potatoes)
- 5 large potatoes, peeled and cut into large cubes
- 2 blocks of Emborg Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 3 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- A pinch of salt
For bottom layer (beef with vegetables)
- 1/2 kg minced beef
- 1 big onion, chopped finely
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 packet Emborg mixed vegetables
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp squeezed lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- To make the cheddar mashed potatoes, place the potatoes in a pot on a medium heat. Add an inch of water and a pinch of salt.
- Let sit for about 2 minutes or till the water comes to a boil. Turn the heat to low and let potatoes soften (about 10 minutes). You can check this by poking a fork in them
- Once done, drain the water. Add salt and pepper to the potatoes and remove from pot.
- Add butter to the pot and melt. Then, add the garlic and fry until light brown.Then return the potatoes to the pot and mash them using a masher or fork.
- Stir in grated cheese and let it melt into the potatoes. Check repeatedly so that the potatoes do not burn. If the potatoes are cooking fast, lower or turn off the heat.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees Celcius.
- For the beef mixture, heat oil in a pan over low heat. Add onions and fry till transparent.
- Later, add Emborg mixed vegetables and cook for 5 minutes till they are soft.
- Add minced beef to the pan and mix until well combined.
- Add the oregano, chili powder, black pepper, cumin powder, and paprika. And, add tomato sauce to the mixture.
- Cook until the minced beef is brown then add salt and lemon juice.
- Layer the beef mixture evenly in a container that is good for baking. Spread the cheddar mashed potatoes on top and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm
You can also make a vegetarian version by just removing minced beef.
Do you have some tried and tested recipes that have been altered to the liking of your family? Let me know…
Until then, happy eating! xx